Among the pieces from the new Erinn V x Universal collection is this round Carmel dining table with rounded curves playing into the base and top.
HIGHLIGHT – Universal Furniture’s in-person learning events this fall will feature industry hitters like Traditional Home’s Krissa Rossbund, product and interior designer Erinn Valencich, interior design coach Gail Doby and interior design coach and author Melissa Galt.
The company’s high-tech learning center and designer lounge is hosting several events from Friday, October 21 through Tuesday, October 25. Here’s what’s on the October calendar.
Friday October 21
- Why gainful employment is the #1 way to fight hunger and poverty: Carmin Black, Half United, will speak at 2 p.m. on how gainful employment is the best way to fight world hunger.
- Visually tell the story of your design: The Importance of a Professional Portfolio and Social Media Presence: Tori Sikkema will speak at 4 p.m. on how to visually tell your design story, leverage photography for publication, develop your social networks and introduce you to clients with ideas.
Saturday October 22
- How to charge fixed fees and protect profits: Melissa Galt, Interior Design Business Coach, will speak at 10 a.m. about finding your fortune with a square foot fee structure, percentage of project cost, and other proven fee structures.
- Organize your design business with MyDoma Studio and Sherwin-Williams: Speaker Sarah Daniele, MyDoma Studio and SED Divison Sherwin-Williams Designers will discuss the platform and brand of products created by designers, for designers at 12 p.m.
- Speed coaching: Traci Connell will be leading 10-minute speed coaching sessions from 2-4 p.m. in Universal Furniture’s Designer’s Lounge which focuses on the business challenges one might face.
- Sensory design: A Wellness CEU” Lori Miller will speak at 2 p.m. on how the direction of interior design is changing as we move through an increasingly noisy world.
- Become a Creative Renegade: How to Build a Brand, Not Just a Business: At 4:00 p.m., Brand Marketing Strategist Ericka Saurit and Creative Leadership Coach Ginna Christensen will host a conversation with three other industry design leaders on what it takes To Become a Creative Renegade: Differentiation, Relevance, and Resilience.
Sunday October 23
- Revealed salaries: The answers to who gets paid what: At 10 a.m., Gail Doby, Co-Founder of Pearl Collective, Nadia Roberts, Director of Interior Talent and Elissa Grayer, Principal Designer, Elissa Grayer Interior Design, will unveil newly released data on salaries and compensation of owners and personal.
- Licensing Your Product Designs: At 11:00 a.m., learn the ins and outs of licensing from leading experts at FORM Design Studio in conversation with Erinn Valencich of Erinn V. Design Group in a conversation about product design and licensing licenses.
- Design for vacation rental properties: At 2 p.m., Jessica Duce, JDuce Design, and moderator Ericka Saurit, former Head of Design for Air BnB and Director of Saurit Creative, will dive into how to navigate vacation rental design.
- The essential systems and processes every interior designer needs and why: Interior designer and business coach, John McClain, identifies the foundational systems you need to effectively run your interior design business and the processes that support them at 4 p.m.
Monday October 24
- Design for celebrities: Traditional Home’s Krissa Rossbund will host a discussion with fellow designers on how to navigate your business with the rich and famous at 10 a.m.
- Mastering time – How to get more done in less time: Melissa Galt will share her tips on how to document your processes, eliminate crisis management, and avoid customer frustration at 2 p.m.
- Authenticity and consistency in online branding: Top tips to help you secure new luxury clients: Learn how Laura Muller, former president of ASID Los Angeles and director of Four Point Design Build, landed nine ideal new luxury clients through her use of Instagram to make known authentically at 4 p.m.
Tuesday, October 25
- Contracts and letters of agreement: Learn the nuts and bolts of letters of agreement and what you need to have in your contract to ensure a happy and productive working relationship in this conversation led by Sharon L. Sherman, ASID, CKD, NCIDQ, Director of Thyme and Place based in New Jersey Design at 10 a.m.
- California Cool: The Future of Sustainability: Join California designers Kelly Finley, Susie Novak, Joshua Smith, Reginald Dunlap and Antonio Deloatch as they explore how design and sustainability can positively impact our planet at 2 p.m.
All RSVPs for these events can be found on the Universal Furniture website.
Erica Hawbaker, associate editor of Furniture Today, recently graduated from the University of Iowa, with a degree in English and a writing certificate in publishing. In addition to bringing her talent as a writer to the editorial team, Erica will add her millennial perspective.